Find out how I feed my family on a shoestring budget.

Friday 6 May 2011

Week 1

This week I spent £31.41 at Asda, plus a further £3.61 at Tesco (eggs - they were on offer, 3 loaves reduced and in the freezer, Greek yoghurt and apples 11p!)

That's 42 products for £35.02 (damn burst my budget in the first week, but those apples were a bargain). The most expensive thing I bought was a litre of sunflower oil for £1.58.

Next to the apples the cheapest things I bought were a mango (it's my favourite fruit and a steal at 50p) and a tin of tomatoes for 33p (yes, yes from the dreaded smart price range).

I do have a cupboard full of herbs, spices and rice and pasta, so I didn't have to buy any of that this week. I did have to replenish my flour supplies though.

This week we'll mainly be eating the following.



Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Saturday
S – Cornflakes, OJ, tea, 2 slices of toast
T –Boiled egg and soldiers, OJ.
N – Weetabix, banana
S – Cheese on toast with veggie sausage and baked beans
T – someone else’s expense (we’re at a birthday party)
N – same as T
All - Aubergine parmazano, salad and homemade garlic bread.
Sunday
S – same everyday
T – coconut and cardamom porridge and fresh coffee
N – porridge, yoghurt and banana
All – lunch out as a special treat
All -Veggie toad in the hole, mash, broccoli, carrots and gravy.
Monday
S – same everyday
T – Muesli and OJ
N – Weetabix, toast
S – Cheese on toast with veggie sausages and baked beans
T – Cheese and cucumber sandwich, yoghurt and blackcurrants
N – cream cheese sandwich, tomatoes, strawberry stick, satsuma
All - Cauliflower cheese, boiled potatoes and peas (from the freezer)
Tuesday
S – same everyday
T – Muesli and OJ
N – weetabix, yoghurt and banana
S – Ploughman’s sandwich, crisps, chocolate bar.
T – Cheese and cucumber sandwich, yoghurt and mango
N – cream cheese sandwich, tomatoes, humzinger, mango
All – homemade pizza with variety of veggie toppings (including peppers and asparagus)
Wednesday
T – Muesli and OJ
N – weetabix, yoghurt and banana
S – Ploughman’s sandwich, crisps, chocolate bar.
T – Cheese and cucumber sandwich, yoghurt and mango
N – peanut butter sandwich, cucumber, strawberry stick, mango
All – chips, nut cutlets/cauliflower cheese grills, beans/peas, bread and butter.
Thursday
S – same everyday
T – toast and fresh coffee
N – shredded wheat, yogurt and toast.
S – Ploughman’s sandwich, crisps, chocolate bar.
T – pasta salad with asparagus
N – pasta salad with asparagus, mango
All -Savoury mince filo strudel with broccoli, roast potatoes, peas and gravy.
Friday
S – same everyday
T – boiled egg and toast
N – shredded wheat, yogurt and toast.
S – Ploughman’s sandwich, crisps, chocolate bar.
T – pasta salad with asparagus
N – pasta salad with asparagus, mango
All - Nut savoury, mashed potato, carrots, butter beans and gravy.

Steve, my partner, likes to eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch everyday (it does vary from a ploughman's sandwich to beans on toast at the weekend). My daughter, N, and me like to mix it up a bit more. We all eat plentiful fruit throughout the day. I like to eat toast in the evenings and Steve likes cornflakes as a late night snack.

I'll post up some of the dinner recipes complete with pics as I get to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment